The English Department at De La Salle Catholic College Ashfield is committed to developing each student's potential as an effective communicator. The new English syllabus gives considerable scope for achieving the necessary literacy outcomes and covers:
- Students build on and refine their language skills through activities involving speaking and listening, reading and writing, and viewing and representing.
- They learn about language and literature through working with a wide range of print, spoken, visual, media, multimedia and digital texts.
- Students interpret and express their views on what they hear, see and read.
- They create written and digital texts, and deliver formal and informal presentations.
- Students study a wider range of texts that give them experience of quality literature, Australian works, multiculturalism, Aboriginality and Australian identity, and Asian perspectives.
Senior English in both the Preliminary and HSC years offers the full range of courses. The more demanding Advanced and Extension One courses, as well as Standard English, and ESL is offered.
A One Unit course of Fundamentals of English is offered in Year 11 to help students develop their skills to better cope with the standard course.
In addition to subject-based content, all syllabuses address important contemporary themes and general capabilities as students prepare to live and work successfully in the 21st century.